If you're looking for a little fluffy pick-me-up, look no further! We speak to the Japanese Insta star who's taking this crafty trend by storm – and find out exactly how she is changing the shape of things to come...
- Animal Baby Rattles
- Stylish Bracelets
- Dainty Dove
- Fluffy Jewellery
- Tea Towel Trims
- Sampler Blanket Crochet-Along: Part One
- Party Dog
- Superhero Girl
- Teddy Bear
- Dog Blanket
- Party Accessories
- View all
- Meet Pom-Pom Sensation Trikotri
- Pom-Pom Fun With Alistair Macdonald
- 13 Undeniably Incredible Crochet Dolls
- Pets Get Crafting! Knit for National Pet Day
- Sue Stratford: Drop Into Your Local Yarn Store And Leave With Friends For Life
- Stuart Hillard: The Party Yarn Kit
- 50 FREE TOY PATTERNS!
- ISSUE 100 SNEAK PEEK
- 11 Crochet Projects For Every Occasion
- Knitting Or Crochet – Which Is Better?
- 9 Patterns For Peter Rabbit Superfans
- View all
- Accessories Crochet Patterns
- Amigurumi Crochet Patterns
- Baby Crochet Patterns
- Christmas Crochet Patterns
- Granny squares Crochet Patterns
- Homewares Crochet Patterns
- Toy Crochet Patterns
- View all
- Sue Stratford: Can Knitting Improve Our Mental Health?
- Crochet Doll’s House Furniture That Is Just Too Cute For Words
- Stuart Hillard: The Hoppy Yarn Kit
- ISSUE 99 SNEAK PEEK
- 7 Reasons Why Knitting Is Back In Style
- These Crochet Baby Beards Are THE CUTEST THING EVER!
- 11 PATTERNS FOR NEW CROCHETERS
- What You Should Be Crafting In 2018
- Sue Stratford: Tackle Your Never-Ending Yarn Stash
- Stuart Hillard: Why You Need The Posy Kit
- 7 Online Pitstops For Crafters
- View all
For most of us the new year is a time for reflection, resolutions and fresh starts. For me, this is also true of my crafting habits. I choose a project that I want to spend quality time on whilst others are occupied with Christmas goodies. As I don’t have a dedicated craft space at home, I often opt for a sewing project because I know I can dedicate a few days to it and fill the house with my machine and other paraphernalia. A friend of mine starts the year by making the gifts she’s planned for the following Christmas before she’ll craft something for herself. You may not like the sound of that, but when the festivities arrive, she has everything prepared. One New Year’s Day a couple of years ago, I photographed my yarn stash to upload onto Ravelry. It hasn’t happened since then, and frankly I would be embarrassed to confess to the total sum of my yarn habit in an online domain. For those of you who haven’t heard of Ravelry (ravelry.com), it’s a fantastic resource for yarn crafters. You can find every pattern you have ever dreamt of and some are available to download for free. There is also a lovely community of forums and groups to delve into.
A lot of people base their crafty resolutions on the amount of yarn they own – if you find yourself in this situation, why not use up your stash first and then reward yourself with a new skein? As well as listing your yarn stash on Ravelry, you can then match it to projects too which is a great way to stop your hoard getting any bigger! However you decide to approach the new year, make sure to find some time for yourself to enjoy your hobby – I’ve discovered I’m a much nicer person if I’ve had a bit of ‘me time’! The words ‘self care’ are bandied about a lot, and the time you spend on your favourite craft is a huge part of this. So when someone asks for your resolution tell them you are looking after yourself, having fun and being creative.
Check out the websites you need on your crafty radar, click here!
More from Top Crochet Patterns blog
The pom-pom craze is working its magic and we're all getting excited about the bobbly possibilities! But just in case you're wondering what to make, Fabulous Pompoms author and designer Alistair Macdonald shares his insights and inspirations...
No childhood is complete without a classic doll to play with, which is why it’s our favourite toy to crochet. There’s just so much scope when it comes to making a doll – you can control the hair colour, outfits and expression of your creation, making the process all the more fun. We’ve gathered together our favourite crochet doll patterns for you to enjoy, from traditional heirlooms to wow-that-looks-real dolls. Take a look-see...
As a nation of animal lovers, it’s only right that we shower our furry friends with the affection they deserve, especially as 11th April marks National Pet Day. “But how?” we hear you ask, and the answer is simple... with your knitting and crochet skills! After all, our favourite fibres aren’t just well-suited to us humans but loved by cats and dogs too. Our precious pets are the perfect recipients of our crafting talents and the best part is, they can repay us with cuddles. Believe it or not, there are businesses dedicated to providing patterns for pooches – and rightfully so! We chatted to a few of the founders to hear their thoughts.