“What should I try first – knitting or crochet?” This is a commonly asked question from new crafters as it's possible to confuse the two, but in truth, there is no one answer that fits all. The craft that's best for you really depends on what type of person you are and what you hope to make, so if you're keen to get going but you're not sure where to start, take this quick quiz to find your calling.
- Dog Blanket
- Party Accessories
- Chair Socks
- Crochet Flower Embroidery Hoop
- Dress-Up Doll
- Food & Drink Covers
- Stripy Bear
- Easter Eggs
- Doll’s House Furniture Crochet-Along: Part 3
- Cactus Garland
- Fruit Brooches
- View all
- Knitting Or Crochet – Which Is Better?
- 9 Patterns For Peter Rabbit Superfans
- Sue Stratford: Can Knitting Improve Our Mental Health?
- Crochet Doll’s House Furniture That Is Just Too Cute For Words
- Stuart Hillard: The Hoppy Yarn Kit
- ISSUE 99 SNEAK PEEK
- 7 Reasons Why Knitting Is Back In Style
- These Crochet Baby Beards Are THE CUTEST THING EVER!
- 11 PATTERNS FOR NEW CROCHETERS
- What You Should Be Crafting In 2018
- Sue Stratford: Tackle Your Never-Ending Yarn Stash
- View all
- Accessories Crochet Patterns
- Amigurumi Crochet Patterns
- Baby Crochet Patterns
- Christmas Crochet Patterns
- Granny squares Crochet Patterns
- Homewares Crochet Patterns
- Toy Crochet Patterns
- View all
- Stuart Hillard: Why You Need The Posy Kit
- 7 Online Pitstops For Crafters
- ISSUE 98 SNEAK PEEK
- 9 FLAMINGO-LOVER MUST-HAVES
- Toymaker Of The Year Winner 2017!
- Baby Bibs Chart
- 5 FREE BABY KNITS
- ISSUE 97 SNEAK PEEK
- Crafty Christmas Advent Calendar
- Snowflake the Bunny Chart
- 9 Reasons Everyone Wants A Crocheted Gift For Christmas
- View all
So What Exactly Is A Yarn Cake?
Even if you’ve never crafted with one before, you’ve probably heard of a yarn cake. It’s a magical phrase that conjures up delectable images in your mind… a cake made of yarn… a cake made to look like yarn… either sound good to us.
But what is a yarn cake? Really?
SHAPE OF YOU
It’s actually the shape that defines it. A yarn cake can be any colour, any size, any type of yarn. It’s all about the form it’s in. It comes off a ball-winder and is a cylinder with a flat top and bottom. When knitting or crocheting with it, you pull the yarn from the centre, making it a real treat to work from. So, effectively, a cake is as much a shape as a skein, ball, hank or doughnut.
THE GOOD STUFF
What’s followed from this are cakes of yarn that – as the name would suggest – actually look good enough to eat. It all started with Caron Cakes. They’re self-striping and feature five scrumptious shades, with each cake creating a unique striping pattern depending where the colours start – making each project an original!
You also get Bernat Pop!, Lion Brand Mandala, Scheepjes Whirl and other yarn cakes that combine a myriad of dreamy colours. In fact, they look so good that it’s pretty difficult to bring yourself to craft with them.
So what’s the best thing to make with yarn cakes? They lend themselves really well to garments and blankets, but you can use them for lots of different crochet patterns. Take a look at some of our favourite creations…
So there you have it. You know what a yarn cake is and how to make the most of one. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’re really in the mood for some cake…
More from Top Crochet Patterns blog
Peter Rabbit is back on our screens on 16th March and we couldn't be happier to see the much-loved little bunny and all of his farmyard friends! The modern adaptation of the classic Beatrix Potter tales is sure to be a hit, so it's no surprise that we want to celebrate it through crafts. Whether you're a knitter or a crocheter, we've gathered an amazing collection of patterns for you to recreate your favourite characters.
There’s something about doll’s house furniture that is just so sweet. And when it’s made from our very favourite material – yarn, obviously! – then it’s all the more adorable. Our doll’s house furniture crochet-along is something you just HAVE to take part in. So crochet all three parts and make a little one squeal with delight… or, indeed, make your own childhood dreams come true!
Stuart Hillard chats Easter knitting and tells you why you need the Hoppy yarn kit that comes with issue 99 of Let's Get Crafting!